Kaanapali Beach

Kaanapali Beach

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Baby Beach

If you have really little kids this beach is for you.  It's beautiful...the coral is amazing and best of all there is a reef wall blocking it, so there's barely even a ripple up the beach.  My not yet 2 year old loved it because she could wade right into the water.  And my four year old could snorkel around with a floaty and see the coral without worrying.  Pack a cooler with some cold drinks (it gets really hot and because it's near Lahaina, there is very little wind), maybe lunch and don't forget the sunscreen.   Oh and it's shallow (waist high) all the way out to the reef, so you can walk out (pulling the kids on the boogie board) around the coral...and the water is warmer because it's so shallow.  The sand isn't super clean (because there isn't an active tide), but it's one of my most favorite places.  I would rather my kids be in the natural salt water that the chloriney pool any day.  Don't forget to bring some sand toys and make an afternoon of it.  PS- a cold beer tastes especially good here becuase it gets HOT (warning). And don't forget water or juice for the littles. :)







TO GET HERE:  Bear with me on my informal directions...next time I'm there I'll write down the actual street names.  But being in Hawaii is all about the adventure, no?  Okay, from MKV head south on the main highway, towards Lahaina.  On your right you'll see a lower road that runs right along the water (Front Street)...take that....and slow down. :)  As you come up a small hill you'll see a church on the right with a HUGE light up sign that says "Jesus Coming Soon"...right after that is Mala Wharf (another good snorkel spot)....go right on one of the next 2 streets that go out to the water.  One is a residential area, but if you look closely, you'll see a paved path that says "Beach Access"...the next street is my favorite, a little more remote and not paved.  The streets lead to the same beach, just different parts of it...you'll see what I'm talking about with a little exploring.  Warning, there may be some local hippies, drinking, smoking Maui Wowie and playing their yukulele's.  But the coral on this side is gorgeous. 
PLEASE PACK UP ALL YOUR TRASH AND BRING IT OUT WITH YOU
Enjoy...ahhh...I wish I was there right now with a cold beer and some poke.

No comments:

Post a Comment